Sunday, April 14, 2013

Grateful for my Loving Appreciation of Beauty and Excellence.



I am currently reading (And have been for months now) Authentic Happiness by Martin Seligman. It is the follow up to Learned Optimism, which I had read last year.

Among the millions of life pushing, Encouraging inspiration it offers is the Character Strength test. This test asks you a myriad of questions about your preferences in life and then ranks your character strengths in ascending order.

I enjoy learning more about myself. It's fun. I'm confusing, yo, and any help I can get to decode is a welcomed experience. So I eagerly filled out the questionnaire and hit finish. What came next was not necessarily a revelation or something new.

My top Strength is The Capacity to Love and Be Loved, Followed closely by Appreciation of Beauty and Excellence and Gratitude.

I had high hopes for this intel. "Finally!" I thought, "I'll be able to find a fulfilling career path and dwell in contentment because I will live in alignment with my core values/strengths"

But WHAT ON EARTH does one do with those strengths?

I am too abstract even for my own liking.

I have sat back thinking and dwelling on this for a while now. And still have come up with very little in the way of marrying these strengths and weaving them into a substantial calling in life.

But what I do know for sure is that I need to practice them more often.

Contentment comes when I bite my tongue and choose loving words instead, when I hit the road and revel in the beauty of nature, when I attend a ballet and tear up at the talent the dancers posses, and when I sit down and dwell on what makes me grateful about this life.

None of these things will produce any kind of income. I hope to find a way to live out a calling that encompasses them all at some point.(if you have any ideas I'd love to hear them) But I will just start doing them all and maybe one day the stars will align, I will notice I am doing them all at once and therein will lie my passion work.

What are your core strengths? How do you live them out?

4 comments:

  1. You're beautiful and I love you. As far as I'm concerned you are a success. You have someone to love and maybe share the rest of your life with. You have a means of paying your bills, but now you have to put a name to what you love. Where do you choose to invest your fervor? Success to me is to find something that you love to do, something that will pay the bills and someone to share your life with. IF the first two are the same thing that's great, but I'd say 80% of the time that's not how the world works.

    "We are but a flower in the thorns, given new life to bloom in the fields."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you too, Chick! I know I have many great things going on. However, finding the thing I love to do has eluded me. I'm trying to find it.:) Thank you for always encouraging me. XOXO

    ReplyDelete