Thursday, January 17, 2013

You don't hate reading, you just haven't found the right words.



“Do not read, as children do, to amuse yourself, or like the ambitious, for the purpose of instruction. No, read in order to live.” ― Gustave Flaubert


Reading and I have had an ebb and flow kind of relationship.

When I was a wee lass my mother would read to me every night. She would tell me to go pick a book and I would cuddle up in bed as she read in silly voices and with so much character. My favorites I would have memorized. I could not read as of yet, but I had the words hidden in my little heart. The books I adored most were from The Little Golden Books collection. Lady , about Lady and the Tramp was my all-time fave.

However, as I grew, my love of reading waned. I would not read my text books...EVER. Nothing caught my interest. I never read for enjoyment. I remember in 5th grade I read Heidi But my leisurely reading stopped there.

In high school, I was one of those people who said, "I'm not a reader. I hate reading." (I cringe at this now)

Then in my early 20s I realized I couldn't hold my own in conversations. I didn't know much about much and I thought, "I'm too smart to be representing myself this way." A fire ignited to learn and grow and fill my brain.

I truly believe reading builds vocabulary, feeds imagination and builds intellect.

However,

It wasn't until the last few years where I found an actual LOVE of reading. I have found blogs and books and people who I connect with. Whose words bring me to tears and make me feel and think. And I believe there are writers out there for all of us. Almost like soul mates of the written word. Sometimes it's a song. Sometimes it's a poem and sometimes it is a blog post. But when you read those words pieced together it is a whole sensory experience. You are enveloped in the world they created and the emotions they are coveying. They inspire and encourage you to live life. REALLY live life!

I'm grateful to be a reading convert and I encourage you to find your written word connection. I believe there are words floating out there right now waiting to enter your heart and never leave. Keep trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment